Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Why I'm Not Designing

Pin It When I relaunched this blog in February it was with the intention of (somehow) blending my desire to run a small graphic design business with my everyday life as a mom to two little kiddos.

No matter how hard I fought it and attempted to find a balance between blogging about my design work and my life as mom the mom stuff always seemed to win out. My desire was to attract not only moms, but moms that might also have a small business, or maybe the small business owner who doesn't have children at all and just enjoyed reading about branding and graphic design with a sprinkling of dinner recipes and the occasional rant about temper tantrums.

At the beginning of April I was struck with a flare up due to my Crohn's disease. Our daily routine become rough. Mustering enough energy to completing the bare minimum each day was about all I was capable of. Forget about having energy left over to take care of my wonderful clients, or furthermore have it in me to blog about it. It was at that time my husband and I decided I would take a step back from my graphic design business and focus more on being the mom I wanted to be while getting my health under control as well.

Since I began FireDancer Designs in 2008 my plan had always been to work steadily on my graphic design business, slowly building my portfolio and my shop and by the time my youngest was in school I would be prepared to hit the ground running and take my business to the next level. My husband help me realize it was going to be at least another two years before our daughter was in school full time, something that had somehow not occurred to me. Could I really carry on spreading myself so thin for another two years? It was a difficult decision but ultimately I said no. Given my current health condition, the age of my children and the increased traveling my husband was doing there was no way I could do it all - be the mom I want to be, and my children deserve, the designer, the blogger and the homemaker I wanted and needed to be.

In the middle of April I announced in my Etsy shop I would stop taking on new clients due to ongoing health issues until further notice. It sucked but it was what I determined had to be done. Since that decision though I have been doing a lot of soul-searching; trying to figure out what I really want to do - where I really want to expend the extra energy I have when I am fortunate enough to have some. I came to the conclusion that talking about mom-stuff is really where my heart lies. It may just be my stage of life but chatting with other moms - be it in my mom's group, in the grocery store, at the park, or through this blog - that is when I feel like I am doing what I am meant to be doing.

So if you notice a few more posts about family-friendly recipes, kid crafts or potty training and a few less about anything graphic design related now you know why. I realize this may not be the path someone else would have decided to take but it the path which is right for me and my family. I know there are plenty of moms out there appearing to be doing it all but that's not for me, not right now. I hope that you'll stick around to journey along the path with me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly, It's not easy to let go of one dream in the interest of several others turning out well, especially when the one you give up has more to do w/you and less to do w/everyone else around you. But, that's assuming that you wouldn't feel 100% connected with those people to whom you give your all. I know you are 110% invested! You're a great mom, fascinating blogger, and I love reading your posts. Keep it up. And hope your health has been good! Thank you, as always, for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of your kind words, MamaSove! I often wonder if people actually enjoy reading my ramblings, writing is just so therapeutic that I continue no matter what. :)

      My health has improved and I'm looking forward to spending some of my extra energy on my kids!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...